Monday, July 9, 2012

Quickie Review: Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts #1) by Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)Unholy Ghosts 
(Downside Ghosts #1)
by Stacia Kane 
Paperback, 339 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Del Rey
ISBN 0345515579 
THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.
The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.
Goodreads
Purchase at Amazon, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kindle

Crystal’s Thoughts: 
Unholy Ghosts is unique in both its story and characters. I’ve never read anything like this before, which was quite refreshing. 


It took a while for me to get into the setting and the dialogue that author Stacia Kane has created here. The first half of the book moved slowly for me and I found myself struggling to stay with it, but by the second half I was enjoying the ride. Most of the characters speak a street slang, Downside, that was somewhat hard to follow, but I got the basic jist of it all. Dark and gritty sums this up well with plenty of action, some hotness, a bit of tension here and there, evil ghosts and creep-tastic worms *gag*, and a Church that isn't your typical church. I'm interested to see where these characters lead.  


Unholy Ghosts is definitely not your run-of-the-mill urban fantasy. I'd recommend fans of this genre giving this book a try if you’re looking for something out of the ordinary and don't mind frequent drug use in the main characters.


Rating: 3 Wine Glasses - A good read

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. The books get better as you go on. I remember thinking 'why the hell am I reading this,' when I started. But there is something addictive about this series. Really it is one I usually recommend to at least give it a try. Most are usually surprised by how much they like it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, Amanda. I actually just said the same thing for my review on BK3 on Goodreads! :) Now I am devouring BK4 and my heart is breaking for Terror and Chess right now. This series has put me so far behind but I just don't care right now! lol

    ReplyDelete

Due to time constraints we may not be able to personally respond to every comment made, but we do read and appreciate them all. 📚❤️🙂

✋ RBtWBC has a zero-tolerance policy for review harassment and author bashing. Such comments will be deleted at the the blog's discretion.